Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Jag on the Brain

My dad, who alternately brought home some of the coolest designed cars on the planet, along with some of worst aesthetic offenders known to man, showed up one day in the early 1960's with this hot, hot example, a 1958 Jaguar Mark 1, with the 3.4 liter engine. I had never seen him so excited. Well, the whole family was excited. I think even the dog liked the car.
.
The Mark 1 series ran from 1955 through 1959. I saw one in mint condition on the road last month and could hardly believe my eyes, to behold such automotive splendor. Few cars show such class, such exquisite and original styling. The lines are unmistakable.
.
Our other car was a 1954 Buick, a total brick, a solid performer. In fact, I think it could drive through a brick wall, and keep on going, unscathed. Previous to the Jaguar we had a couple of ancient Pontiacs, circa late 1940's vintage. These cars were affectionately called "The Bumba." The original Bumba looked like an insect gone radioactive in a Japanese horror movie. That car could take a bullet. After the floor fell out, it sadly needed to be replaced.
.
Another automotive glory from my childhood? A 1965 Ford Mustang, greenish gold color with a dimpled black vinyl top. A true classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment