Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Canonet G-III QL17, Workhorse Rangefinder Camera

Gone missing for a couple of decades or more, I recently located my old Canonet G-III QL17.  This camera came to me as a young man, as a much welcomed hand me down.  With all the manual settings and functions you would expect in a quality camera of the era (1972), this rangefinder camera came in a smaller and lighter package than a SLR of the period, and delivered superior results in its own right.  

With an ultra quiet shutter release, and an excellent 40 mm f/1.7 lens, moreover, it was a ton of fun to shoot, and looked great.  Known to be solidly built, the camera I have is one of the originals built in Japan, thought to be of higher quality than the later models which were made in Taiwan.  I always thought this camera was incredibly cool, and all this is confirmed with a host of current testimonials and reviews.  I was fortunate enough to have taken many wonderful images with this camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment