Thursday, December 17, 2009

Window of Opportunity, Seized, Part 2

After bringing the painting upstairs, after it had a chance to dry, it became evident that, whatever it was, the work was in no way complete. I had a chance to glance at it from time to time, and let my conscious and subconscious mind have a chance to meditate, my sensibilities a chance to gestate, on possible next steps.

This morning I had time to revisit the work, the first day in two or three weeks. It has been very difficult to find studio time lately, what with all the priorities vying for my time and efforts. Also, creative endeavors demand that, not only do you have the opportunity to create, but that you are up for it. This morning, all forces came into alignment. Whether I am pleased with the results or not, it sure felt good to "be there then." I do feel pleased with the results so far. Not overjoyed, but I feel some satisfaction. I had the urge to sign the work, often a sign that I am (nearly) done, but, it just as often means there may be more to do. I am reluctant to sign a wet painting.

I will give it some drying time, and hang it on the wall for a good look later.

Does it really look like Jackie?! I'm not sure. Perhaps. I am reminded that, after lengthy posing sessions, Gertrude Stein remarked to Picasso that her portrait did not really look like her. He responded something to the effect of "don't worry, in fifty years it will look exactly like you."

No comments:

Post a Comment