Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Miniature Results

I have been very pleased with the Nikon P5100 that has become my mainstay in picture taking. Lately though, I thought I might like to have a sub-compact sized digital camera to always have on hand. Tethering myself to the Nikon, wearing it around my neck like an albatross is a bit much. I need my freedom. Yet, so often, I wished I had a miniature digital on hand to seize the image before me.

I must have gotten a bit impulsive, because after very little searching, I came across the Leica Minox hybrid, the Minox DCC, shown above. It was infatuation at first glance. Always partial to Nikons, I have yearned to own a Leica, having used one only as part and parcel of a Reprovite copy stand. Oh how I loved to advance the film, focus and depress the remote shutter release! The snap of the controls, the sounds... pure quality and joy. The results were impressive. I thought I might own a small portion of joy in the DCC. I was wrong.

Visually, I was awestruck when I opened the packaging. The tiny camera was stuck in a wonderful wooden box like a piece of jewelry. It was striking looking with classic good looks. However, there were downsides that could not be overlooked. The camera on-board software was anemic, and lacking. There were visible controls some of which had function, some did not. Ouch. The photos were, well, disappointing. Finally, and yes, all on the first day, one of the buttons just failed to work. I am not one to return items easily, but this had to go back where it came from.

The search is still on for that wonderful little digital that is (nearly) always with me, feels good in your hands, and yields superb results.

Yes, and someday, I hope to own a fine Leica.

No comments:

Post a Comment