Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Design Crime

One of my favorite sculptures, er towers, the Seattle Space Needle as seen from below, and recast as a two tone.  

I photographed this image back around 1984 with my Nikon FE2.  I miss that camera.  This was long before the site was cluttered up with the Experience Music Project (EMP) Museum, a building designed by Frank Gehry, and founded by Paul Allen.  In a rare show of criticism, in my opinion, the EMP building clashes badly with the tectonic Space Needle, and the museum experience itself is completely static and forgettable.  The site selection for the museum, if it should have been built at all, should have been a short walk from Seattle Center.  As it is, the Gehry building looks as if it had been blowing in the wind, and got stuck under the Space Needle.  On account of proximity, especially, this is a design crime.

No comments:

Post a Comment