Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tracks, Rails and Otherwise


Train tracks. They always catch my eye. Well, why wouldn't they? They get you from here to there, and back again.


It's not just the visual allure. Having grown up in a railroad town, the sounds of the trains as they roll down the tracks, and the sound of the whistle are enough to stop me cold. It sounds like a lullaby to my soul. It is the aura of romance and nostalgia. The faintest sound can reach for miles. I hear the railroad moving through Hartford as I write this, and it soothes me.


With sepia simulation, an image taken today can speak something of yesterday. All this, and at the site of some boyhood memories, that is, at historic Philipse Manor station, in Sleepy Hollow, New York, on the shores of the magnificent Hudson River. Is this a place of some magic? Yes, I think so, and so did Washington Irving!

1 comment:

  1. train journeys are wonderful - keep these wonderful articles flowing.
    V.

    ReplyDelete