Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Designed and Manufactured with Available Materials and Technology

While hiking in what had been the summer hunting grounds of the Eastern Abenaki Indians, I came across this small stone on the trail. Though grouped with other like sized stones, this one caught my eye and I decided to examine it. Could it be an Indian artifact, a tool of some kind? It seemed to me that it might well be!

The stone was symmetrical side to side and front to back. It clearly seemed to have been worked. If anything, it appeared to have a dual purpose with a full radius, uniformly sharp, serrated blade on one end, and a blunter, straighter serrated scraping blade on the other. It appeared to have been crafted by deft striking. It felt good in my hand.


Where is the stone now? It is right where I found it on the trail. Now I will always know where it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment